Those who reside in India BSNL is a well known cellular company, which offers 2G, 3G, Landline service. They provide 3G dongle to access the internet. However, only BSNL sim is supported on the dongle. If you use sim of different company, it will be rejected prompting an error message. Then how to use other sim in the dongle! All we have to do is to hack and tweak the windows registry. I wrote about the ‘Windows Registry’ recently (Read here). I will show the steps below to do that. See the screenshot to get a clear idea.
STEP 1: Connect the BSNL dongle to your PC and install the software present on it.
STEP 2: Press ‘Windows key+R’ to launch the RUN dialog box. Type “regedit” and press ‘enter’. The registry editor window will open.
STEP 3:Then click on the triangle shape before the “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE” to open it. Then again, open “SOFTWARE” and select “Linktop3G”. (The full path is “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Linktop3G”)
STEP 5: Close the ‘Registry Editor’ and reboot the computer.
STEP 6: Insert the dongle with a BSNL sim in it. Open the BSNL application and configure the access point to your desire. When done insert any other sim and it will be accepted without any error message.
However, remember you have to manually configure the APN (Access point) and active it. See below for some APN for different sim-providers.
Discrimination: I am personally using BSNL dongle for about 2 years with a Vodafone sim. Previously I was using Airtel and Reliance sim without any problem by using this method. My dongle’s model no. is LW272. Same procedure is to be followed for LW273 model also.
Some APNs for different sim-providers. Hope you will find it useful.MTNL 3G Postpaid: APN: mtnl3g Prepaid APN: pps3g Aircel APN: aircelgprs Access Number: *99# Idea APN: internet Access Number: *99# Docomo APN: TATA.DOCOMO.INTERNET Access Number: *99# Airtel APN: airtelgprs.com Access Number: *99# BSNL 3G/2G APN: bsnlnet Access Number: *99# Reliance 2G/3G APN: rcomnet Access Number: *99# Vodafone APN: portalnmms Access number: *99#
- How to use other sim in BSNL 3g Data Card (askjet.org)
- Bsnl 3g @2g June 2012 Tricks (tipstricksblog.wordpress.com)
- BSNL launches ICS affordable Penta T-Pad IS701C tablet (91mobiles.com)
- BSNL pensioners urged toutilise vacant quarters (thehindu.com)
- Winknet MF50, 3G Pocket Wi-Fi router launched by BSNL for Rs. 5,800 (mobigyaan.com)
- BSNL Penta T-Pad WS802C, 8 inch Android 4.0 tablet launched for Rs. 14,699 (mobigyaan.com)
- ISPs slam brakes on BitTorrent speeds (thehindu.com)
- BSNL to launch a WiFi pocket router for Rs 5,800 (ibnlive.in.com)
- BSNL offers Unlimited data to its 3G users at Rs. 700 (mobigyaan.com)
- BSNL launches 3G WiFi Router for Rs 5,800 (ibnlive.in.com)