In my previous posts, I wrote only about smart phones and fitness related topics. However, today I am going to write about a serious issue i.e. internet security. Today when internet became a very necessity of our daily life, its security is that much essential. Many of us shop online, do banking, and share private messages online on regular basics. However, many of are not that aware of its adverse effects. Phising and Spamming is common today. Internet users do not identify the Phising websites and release their personal & valuable information such as online banking password, credit/debit card information etc on these sites. Therefore, internet safety is must for all.
Then arises a big question. How to do it? Well there are many web filtering software available in market. Usually they can handle these kinds of attacks. However, the main problem is that they all are not free. These are expensive, and those who are free versions are not that effective.
Blocking, filtering & controlling the types of web content accessed by the internet surfer is essential. Office employees and kids at home must be monitored to prevent them from accessing malicious Phising or Porn websites.
OpenDNS is an online service, which is very easy to configure and deploy, but yet
It is very powerful one. Any one having slightest knowledge on computers can easily use OpenDNS. He only need to register online, register his IP address, configure the level of filtering and enter the DNS setting on his system. Then OpenDNS service filters his office/home internet connection. One can easily monitor website traffic, usage etc by viewing stats report on OpenDNS website anywhere round the globe. The most amazing fact is that it is free, but stronger.
Below I am showing you systematic instructions to configure OpenDNS.
- Connect to the internet and go to the site www.opendns.com
- Then select parental control. Click on “get started”.
- Then select ‘OpenDNS Home’ or ‘OpenDNS Family shield’ according to your requirements. Both the services are free.
- On the next page enter your email id.
- Open your inbox and click on the link.
- Then follow the steps as directed in the website.
Hope that you liked it. Try it for your and your family safety. If any doubt, please ask me.
See below for related articles.
- OpenDNS for web filtering & family safety (myreviewes.wordpress.com)
- How Do I Set Up Non-Annoying Parental Controls on All My Devices? [Ask Lifehacker] (lifehacker.com)
- IF SOPA (Internet Censorship) PASSES IN THE USA, WHAT IS THE WORK-AROUND?? HERE’S AN IDEA.. (politicalvelcraft.org)
- 4 General Methods You Can Use To Detect Phishing Attacks (makeuseof.com)
- Can you spot a Phishing website? (gobbledgeek.wordpress.com)
- 5 Steps to a Family-Safe Internet (GeekDad Wayback Machine) (wired.com)
- SOPA and our 2010 Circumvention Study (ethanzuckerman.com)
- Our Circumvention Research DOES NOT Support SOPA (jilliancyork.com)
- Easy Security with OpenDNS (and a little giveaway) (yourfamilygeek.com)
- Gamers Find Way to Block Ads From New Xbox Dashboard (escapistmagazine.com)
- More Than 1 Percent of the World’s Internet Users Now Using OpenDNS for a Safer, Faster, Smarter and More Reliable Connection (prweb.com)
- Websense Web Security Gateway vs. OpenDNS (community.websense.com)
- Dawson Community College Deploys OpenDNS Enterprise for “Rock Solid” Malware Protection (prweb.com)
- Peninsula School District Switches to OpenDNS Enterprise from Websense, Secures 4,000 Devices (prweb.com)
- Introducing Block Page Bypass; Innovative Feature Makes OpenDNS a Superior Alternative to Websense, Blue Coat for Organizations with Per-User Filtering Needs (prweb.com)
- OpenDNS Guest Wireless (edugeek.net)
- OpenDNS Deluxe Dropped, Price Increase by 1000% (ghacks.net)
- OpenDNS update (sonikenfj.wordpress.com)
- OpenDNS warns about Google DNS (forbes.com)